Saturday, October 31, 2009

Why does my scar hurt?

About 9 months ago I had my appendix removed, which left me with a nice scar (obviously). Up until today I have had almost no problems, but this afternoon it started to hurt really bad. My scar (about 2 inches long) and the area around it hurt really bad. It's weird because I have a couple of smaller scars from surgery also and those don't hurt. One of my friends told me that it might be because the temperature is about to drop significantly (I live in Wisconsin). Is this true? And how do I know when I should consult a doctor?
Answer:
It has nothing to do with temperature. There are cutaneous (skin) nerves that are probably being pulled on as the scar shrinks when healing.
If it hurts real bad, go to the doctor.
If it's bearable, use cocoa butter or skin lotion and massage the scar- apply pressure and rub the scar in a lengthwise direction. Use your thumb to get decent pressure. This will help flatten the scar by lining up the colalgen fibers that make the scar...it should also relive some of the hyper sensitivity you're having.
If the area feels warm to the touch,is red or swollen,it's infected. Either way, I would go see a doc. I have a few scars and they have never hurt.
because you're harry potter and voldemort is near

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Why does Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net